Grape – is very well known and popular plant. Grapes were grown in the time of the Egyptian pharaohs, a few hundreds or thousands of years BC. Since then, the grapes didn’t loss its significance, but became even more popular.
Interesting facts about grapes:
- There are about 10 thousand grape varieties worldwide.
- Every sort of grapes we have today is a species of the genus Vitis.
- The world produces more than 70 million tons of grapes each year to keep up with consumer demand.
- To get a bottle of wine, it is necessary to process about 600-700 berries.
- Grapes can be eaten fresh or can be used for making wine, jam, juice, jelly, raisins, vinegar, etc.
- The most of the grape’s harvest goes to the production of wine and brandy.
- Grape – one of the most high-calorie fruit.
- More antioxidants are in the peel of the grape.
- There are grape varieties that grow more than hundred of years, each year their harvest is increasing.
- Grapes contain some components used in the production of cosmetics against aging and sun protection.
- Since grapes contain a large amount of glucose and fructose, it helps to improve brain function.
- Top 5 grapes producing countries in the world are: China, United States, Italy,Spain and France.
- More than 300,000 tons of grape production comes from California which represents about 89 % of the total US grape crop.
- There are two groups of grapes: European and American. The European grapes are more popular and more diversified.
- The average people eats about eight pounds of grapes each year.